(3 credits) [FYS]
All first-time, first-year students and students transferring with fewer than 15 credits will be enrolled in and must complete a First-Year Seminar. The First-Year Seminar is a three-credit course taught exclusively to first-year students in a small seminar format. First-year seminars are listed with the LC or department prefix, followed by the number 193 (LC193). Any make-up of the First-Year Seminar requirement must be successfully completed within the first 60 credits of study.
- Engage beginning college students and explore diverse topics that are more controversial or more narrowly focused than standard introductory courses.
- Encourage students to apply the knowledge that they acquire to address specific problems and challenges within the University, the community, and the world.
- Encourage students to be both active and reflective learners.
- Include assignments or activities that orient students to and require the use of the library, educational technology, and standard methods of reference and citation,
- Encourage students to participate in student life and community activities that are part of the first-year experience.
- First-Year Seminars differ from other courses in that they have a limited enrollment, are designed for first-year students, and emphasize the academic tools necessary to ensure a successful Worcester State University experience.
|AR-193||First Year Seminar in Art||3|
|BA-193||Special Topics in Business First -Year Students||3|
|BI-193||First Year Seminar Biology||3|
|CD-193||Special Topics in Communication Sciences And Disorders for First-Year Students||3|
|CH-193||Special Topics in Chemistry for First Year Students||3|
|CJ-193||Special Topics for First-Year Students||3|
|CM-193||Special Topics in Communication for First Year Students||3|
|CS-193||Special Topics in Computer Science for First Year Students||3|
|EC-193||First Year Seminar Economics||3|
|ED-193||First Year Seminar Education||3|
|EN-193||First Year Seminar English||3|
|FR-193||Special Topics in French for First Year Students||3|
|GE-193||Special Topics in Geography for First- Year Students||3|
|GS-193||First Year Seminar in Geography||3|
|HE-193||First Year Seminar Health||3|
|HI-193||First Year Seminar History||3|
|LC-193||LASC First Year Seminar||3|
|MA-193||Special Topics in Math for First Year Students||3|
|MU-193||Special Topics in Music:First Year Students||3|
|NU-193||Special Topics in Nursing for First Year Students||3|
|OT-193||First Year Seminar: Occupational Therapy||3|
|PH-193||First Year Seminar Philosophy||3|
|PO-193||First Year Seminar Political Science||3|
|PS-193||Special Topics in Psychology for First Year Students||3|
|PY-193||First Year Seminar||3|
|SO-193||First Year Seminar Sociology||3|
|SP-193||First Year Seminar Spanish||3|
|TH-193||Special Topics in Theater:First-Year Students||3|
|UR-193||First Year Seminar Urban Studies||3|
|VP-193||Special Topics in Visual and Performing Arts: First-Year Students||3|